Forest Wood is a limestone quarry of around 30 hectares situated partly within the Vale of Glamorgan and partly in Rhonda-Cynon-Taf just south of the M4 near Llantrisant. Quarrying began in the 1950s. The stone is used for local construction projects, principally to make ready-mixed concrete and asphalt. A western extension was permitted in spring 2011, and much of the current working is within this area.
The entire quarry was formerly woodland, which can be seen on an aerial photo taken in 1945. The habitats within the quarry include remnant blocks of ancient semi-natural woodland, and improved pasture and screen bank plantations together with secondary woodland and scrub on old quarry waste tips. Local species being encouraged are bluebell, peregrine falcon, song thrush, high brown fritillary, small pearl bordered fritillary and bats.
Ongoing nature project:
- The final restoration design will result in a large deep water body with rock faces and screes along with narrow quarry bench restoration. The main area of dry land will be the current plant site and stocking area.
- Management of broadleaved woodland.
- Creation of a bat house
- Creation of flower rich grassland